Refractive eye surgery is any eye surgery used to improve the refractive state of the eye and decrease or eliminate dependency on glasses or contact lenses. This can include various methods of surgical remodeling of the cornea or cataract surgery.
What are my payment options?
There are many ways to pay for cataract or presbyopia surgery. Usually insurance will cover all or most of the costs .For any additional fees, you will be responsible.
Medicare will usually cover traditional or monofocal lenses. If you choose a multifocal or toric lens, you will need to pay for any extra costs.
Health insurance policies will differ in coverage for the different types of lenses. Usually, most of them will cover a traditional or monofocal lens. Because multifocal lenses are technologically advanced and designed to provide sharper vision, and toric lenses are designed to treat astigmatism, these types of IOLs will cost more. You will be responsible for paying for the additional costs.
Healthcare financial plans offer an option to pay over time. Your doctor may offer their own payment plan or private companies such as CareCredit® can give you financing options that make advanced technology lenses affordable.
Questions to ask your doctor
It’s important to fully understand the cataract procedure before making any decisions with your doctor. Below, you can find a list of questions to ask your doctor, so both of you can decide on the best treatment option for your needs.
About the surgery
- What are my options to treat my cataracts or presbyopia?
- What are my options to treat my cataracts as well as astigmatism?
- How long will the surgery take?
- How long will it take to recover?
- Is the surgery and recovery painful?
About my lens options
- What are the different kinds of lenses available?
- Which one will best suit my vision and lifestyle needs?
- I like the idea of not wearing glasses. Am I a candidate for a multifocal lens?
- Is there a lens that allows me to drive safely at night or function in dimly lit situations?
- I have astigmatism. Am I a candidate for a toric lens?
About payment options
- How much will my procedure cost?
- Will my insurance cover everything?
- Is there a payment plan or financing to cover any additional costs?