More people spend their lives using devices for their work and leisure than ever before. Because of this, digital eye strain is prevalent. With the help of Nevada Eye Physicians, our vision professionals in Las Vegas, Mesquite, Henderson, Pahrump, and Boulder City, NV can offer ways to reduce digital eye strain and helpful habits to help keep your eyes feeling their best.
What is computer vision syndrome?
Computer vision syndrome (CVS), or digital eye strain, is a group of vision or eye-related problems that can result from prolonged cell phone, e-reader, tablet, or computer use. Many of our patients suffer from discomfort and blurry vision. Some common symptoms of computer vision syndrome include:
- Strained eyes
- Blurry vision
- Dry eyes
- Tired eyes
- Neck or shoulder pain
Oftentimes, these symptoms can be caused by glare, improper viewing distances, poor posture, poor lighting, or uncorrected vision issues. The extent that a patient may experience symptoms will depend on their level of visual acuity and the amount of time they spend using devices. Farsightedness, astigmatism, poor eye coordination ability, and eye focusing problems all can contribute to the development of computer vision syndrome.
How is computer vision syndrome diagnosed?
At Nevada Eye Physicians, we examine our patients’ eyes during a comprehensive eye examination. We learn about a patient’s history to determine any symptoms that may be associated with eye strain. Next, our vision professionals take visual acuity measurements that assess the extent of how vision has been affected. Testing on how the eyes focus and move together will also help us to look for problems where the eyes cannot work together properly, leading to strain.
How computer eye strain is treated
In many cases, our patients may not require glasses for daily activities but may benefit from getting some for computer use. Some of our patients also suffer from eye focusing or coordination problems that cannot be corrected properly with contact lenses or glasses. Visual training can be used to help improve visual abilities to limit computer eye strain symptoms.
Tips for eye strain
To provide eye strain relief, follow these tips:
- The American Optometric Association suggests the 20-20-20 rule to alleviate digital eye strain. Take a 20-second break and look at something at least 20 feet away every 20 minutes you’re using a device.
- Correcting your posture may help reduce symptoms of CVS as the position of the monitor may affect how tired the eye feels. Position your computer arms-length away. Make sure it sits at about 10 degrees below eye level too.
- Using ambient lighting can reduce the strain of devices, which contributes to eye strain.
- Anti-glare screens can prevent the harmful blue light that comes from devices and protect the eyes during use. You can also adjust your computer’s brightness as too much blue light (from brightness) can lead to premature eye aging.
- To minimize dry eyes, blink frequently to keep the front surface of the eye moist at all times.
- Use a humidifier to ensure the air isn’t too dry. This will defeat the purpose of making these adjustments when using devices at home or at work.
- Try blue light glasses or reflective lenses. These glasses help to filter blue light, which protects your eyes.
Ultimately, prevention or reduction of vision problems associated with computer vision syndrome involves taking steps to correct glare, establishing proper working distances, and taking adequate breaks.
Learn more on how to treat computer eye strain
At Nevada Eye Physicians, our experienced vision professionals can offer helpful advice on how to relieve eye strain. We offer comprehensive eye examinations that can both diagnose and treat computer vision syndrome for our patients. We use the best vision care practices that aim to relieve uncomfortable symptoms. We pride ourselves on providing our patients’ tips on how to relieve computer and device-related eye strain. You don’t have to live with digital eye strain forever. Allow our professional teams in Las Vegas, Mesquite, Henderson, Pahrump, and Boulder City, NV to begin helping you today.